Performance Issues with The Division

Discussion in 'Open Broadcast Software and xSplit' started by ShroudOfSelizar, May 25, 2016.

Share This Page

1. ShroudOfSelizar

ShroudOfSelizar Novice Member

May 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +15 /0 /-0
    So.. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I'm just not going to be able to stream The Division when I play it. Damn shame, really. I average 70 FPS without streaming, just playing it. The moment I hit that "Start Streaming" button, the combination of the encoding and the processing of the game to simply play, bottlenecks my frames down to 27. Now, in strictly PvE.. that's not TOO terribly bad.. except if I wanted to hit up Incursions (which I still need to do Falcon Lost, let alone Clear Skies).

In the Dark Zone, though? Yeah, no. That's Death simply waiting to happen. I don't understand it, though. I mean, I know The Division is a demanding game.. but so it ARK: Survival Evolved. I can run ARK with no problems, and even average about 40 FPS WHILE streaming the game. Fallout 4, I only get little spurts of frame droppage here and there. Am I doing something wrong?

I have my bitrate set to 1800 (someone told me I really shouldn't have to go lower or higher than that), I have my x264 CPU preset to veryhigh, and I even downscale to 480p. I'd prefer to stream at 720p, but it is what it is. I have the internal FPS settings for OBS locked at 30. I also have my Process Priority Class set to High as well. So.. yeah.. I have no effing idea. >_<

Any suggestions? Yes, I am willing to install TeamViewer and let someone see if they can tweak it.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.9 GHz (4.1 Turbo)
    GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 960
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3

Only listed those, as those are the most relevant. I should also note that I run two monitors, if that has any relevance.

Tags:
  2. Jollyriffic

Jollyriffic Administrator Staff Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Male
    Engineer Technician
    United States
    Ratings:
    +65 /0 /-0
    well the problem here is a few things.
    1 you've got a pretty old cpu. just to put this into perspective, the most current cpu amd offers is 5 years old. They gave up on the CPU race long ago! it's actually really disgusting places still carry these cpus or at least aren't forced to tell people this information.
    So while you have what on paper looks good, it's not.
    the ram, i'm going to guess is slower speed than you should have in that system. I've got 2133mhz and i feel that's even really too slow. most people have huge bottlenecks at the ram. the more sticks you have, the more lanes information can travel on.. think of a highway, 1 lane of 100mph vs 2 lanes of 100mph or even 4.
    that gtx is old, but not too bad. should be find for what you're doing.

Free steps to fix the issue.
    if your native resolution is 1080 for the screen you're gaming on, drop it down to either 768p or 720p then game on it.
    in addition change your custom resolution in obs down to w/e you set, and downscale using lanczos filter.
    dropping resolution not only saves on cpu/gpu/ram but it also permits you to have a crisper looking stream because your resolution downscale doesn't have to be such a large distance from the native. You'll also gain fps doing this since you're freeing up resources.
    Your kbps all depends on what your actual upload is. If you're stuck doing 1,800 because you've got shit upload, then we'll you're solo on that. If you have more bandwidth, you don't need to do 480 and can jump up.
    important factor to note. your kbps you can do, dictates the resolution you should be doing.
    720 and 1080 are not HD, not when we're talking streaming! they are only HD when discussing the display of a monitor.
    480p video or any other size for that matter can be HD. High def video, is what we're after, this is the correct kbps, fps, and resolution to match. in addition, using more fps not only uses more cpu, but requires more kbps to maintain visual quality, so leave it on 30.
    A larger resolution typically will have zero effect on cpu usage, or such a small % you'll never notice it.

some of the much larger problems are people not only watch OBS on their second screen but also watch their stream on that monitor or have it playing. Both of these use up cpu/gpu/ram, after all you're displaying more video changes causing more calculations to be done. for twitch, pause the twitch stream, and minimize obs.
    any large and intrusive antivirus, remove completely from your system. They typically dont block anything other than things you're trying to get to but it puts a stop to it. using ghostery and adblock are your real main defence, then something small such as microsoft security essentials since it isn't a resource hog.

i'm not sure the quality you can push out, but with some of this info you'll be able to at least get your computer running better while streaming.

3. ShroudOfSelizar

May 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +15 /0 /-0
    Well.. I checked what my ping, down/upload speeds were just now, and this is what I got..

5354830276.png

I've done every other tweak you've mentioned, however.. I've noticed that the overall quality of my videos was worse after scaling resolution down from native 1920x1080 to anything lower.. which is odd, but that's the result I had.

4. Jollyriffic

Apr 24, 2016
    Male
    Engineer Technician
    United States
    Ratings:
    +65 /0 /-0
    if you changed the game and/or monitor resolution, you then also need to change that same resolution in obs.
    otherwise you're upscaling then downscaling and that really makes streams look like shit.
    OBS grabs your resolution from when it's installed then doesn't change after that, unless you change it yourself.
    once it's on the correct resolution, your downscale will need adjusted also because it doesn't automatically change either.

• ShroudOfSelizar

May 21, 2016
      Male
      Ratings:
      +15 /0 /-0
      Yeah, that's what I figured. It's just acting hella weird. What are you recommendations for my bitrate, btw? Currently, I run at 1800.. but I should be able to get more based on my upload speeds, right?

• Jollyriffic

Apr 24, 2016
      Male
      Engineer Technician
      United States
      Ratings:
      +65 /0 /-0
      really depends on what you're playing, what fps you want, and what resolution.
      personally i do high 500 to 616 resolution a lot of times to do 45fps and rock around 2,500kbps to 3,000 depending on if i'm at nikkis with better upload or at home with my worthless 3mb upload.
      also depends on her internet as she has one of them all in one router modem combos and that shit is unreliable as fuck.

• BensGaming808

BensGaming808 Novice Member

Oct 6, 2016
      Male
      Ratings:
      +0 /0 /-0
      The game might be CPU intensive, I wouldn't know I dont have The Division. I would suggest using the nvenc .264 encoder. I also have the GTX 960, and instead of using the x264 CPU rendering, use the encoder built into your 960. You should be able to run a smooth stream. Keep in mind the Nvidia encoder is 40% less quality than x264. Examples for quality...

x264 at 2000kbps bitrate = Nvenc .264 at 4000kbps bitrate.

x264 at 3000kbps bitrate = Nvenc .264 at 5000kbps bitrate.

"Partnered max" x264 at 4000kbps bitrate = Nvenc .264 at 6000kbps bitrate.

Recording on OBS studio, you can also use the Nvenc .264 encoder to record full 1080p at 50,000kbps